We made it! This month marks our 1 year of blogging and we just want to say many thanks for sticking with us. Starting a blog is easy peasy but continuously writing posts — not so much. It really does require a lot thought, time, and creativity, but the process has been nothing but fun, and slowly but surely we will continue to grow this little space of ours. So today — when some of us expect roses and an expensive dinner — we propose that you have a relaxing night with your partner, pets, or yourself, and cook. This Beet Cauliflower soup is great for that. Why? Well, look at that color! No frosting could beet (pun intended) that deep-earthy red. The rich color will surprise you. Just make sure you don’t spill the soup because it will look like a crime scene. Also, don’t take left-overs to lunch and open it in a small-enclosed office…cauliflower stinks when chilled. The soup is also extremely healthy and you will experience the flavors in three stages: first the tangy cauliflower, then potato cream, ending with a light after taste of the beets. It is so lovely it will definitely make someone’s heart beet…. Enjoy and Happy Vday!
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
3 cups chopped cauliflower
2 medium-small red beets
Dash of salt
3 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbs coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent — about 4 minutes.
2. Add cauliflower, beets, and salt.
3. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until beets and cauliflower are tender — about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add dill. Let the soup cool for 10 minutes and puree until smooth. Add water if it’s too thick.
5. Return soup to pot and bring to a simmer. Season with more salt if you think there is not enough flavor.
6. Sprinkle dill sprigs right before serving.
Flash from the back, and recipes if you need last minute ideas: