Our dearest friend, Sony, had her big 2-5 the other day and we needed to make a momentous treat to fit the occasion. Per the birthday girl’s request, we visited our favorite food blog smitten kitchen to make this delicious recipe. What follow was murphy’s law…
First, Anne’s oven broke so we had to impose on her lovely upstairs neighbors (for a small fee of three cupcakes).
Then, we schlepped through Cambridge in the torrential rain with three shoe boxes full of these cupcakes.
Finally, the big moment came… after singing happy birthday and biting into the cup cakes we realized that we were missing a key ingredient: oil! To fully understand how big a mistake this was, please observe that the recipe calls for 1 1/4th cups of the stuff! As I am sure you can imagine, this dessert was dry as a desert. So, when you make these, don’t forget the oil.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups canola oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated peeled carrots
1 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Two (8 – ounce) package cream cheese softened to room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and line cupcake molds with paper, or butter and flour them.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time and gradually add dry ingredients.
4. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and raisins, if using them.
5. Divide batter into cupcake molds filling each mold 3/4 through.
6. Bake for about 14- 18 minutes or until a tested inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let the cupcakes cool before spreading the maple cream cheese frosting.
8. For the maple cream frosting, use a mixer to beat all of the ingredients on medium until light and fluffy, and let it sit in the fridge for 20 minutes before spreading on the cupcakes.