Tis the season to pick berries! Whole Foods has a A Fresh take On Fresh Berries Recipe contest going on and we decided to take the plunge. The basic rules are: use one of the berries or a combination of the two as part of the recipe, only unrefined sugar allowed (e.i. maple syrup, honey, agave, etc.), and limit the recipe to 7 ingredients. This is a lot harder than it sounds. It’s almost like suduko; when you think you have the numbers aligned perfectly, you find that one number (in this case ingredient) that doesn’t fit and you have to start over.
We bought our strawberries (obvious choice) from Kimball’s farm and on the walk home brainstormed. We flipped through Saveur the night before, so we knew that we were going to have to think beyond the carton for originality. Does strawberries, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, walnuts, and spinach omelet sound good to you? Yeah, we weren’t sure about that either. So, after listing all possibilities and aberrant combinations, decided to settle with the muffins. Why? Because it calls for 7 ingredients, it’s healthy, and it’s a declicious way to start the morning.
Mayple Syrup Sponge
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 quart of strawberries
2 tbs butter
Yield: 12 muffins
*Adapted from Maple to Sugar From Sap to Syrup*
1. Separate egg yolks from whites. In a big bowl, blend the egg whites until they are stiff and set aside.
2. In a separate medium-size bowl, blend the egg yolks until they become fluffy and a little stiff like in the picture from above. Then gently fold in the maple syrup, flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Pour your egg yolk mixture into the egg whites, and gently fold everything together. You want to keep that fluffy texture.
4. To make sweet juicy strawberries, boil the strawberries in 1/8 cup water and add butter. Boil until the strawberries are swimming in their own juice!
5. Strain the strawberries. Place strawberries on top of the muffins.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. There you have it! Your 7 ingredients Strawberry Maple Muffins!
Photos taken at a small farmers’ market in Cambridge.
Laura Marling is touring the US & Canada. We recommend you to see her if she’s playing at a venue near you. We saw her at Berklee and she was amazing.