4 tbs miso paste
1 tsp granulated bonito broth
1″ dried seaweed
1 block of tofu (firm)
1 burdock stick
1 carrot stick
4 cups of water
1 spring onion
1) Cut 1″ square dried seaweed and drop it in 4 cups of water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes or for up to a day, and watch the seaweed expand!
2) Shave the burdock, cut the carrot into thin slices, and dice the tofu block (hold it in your hand and cut it the Japanese way!).
3) Discard the seaweed and set the stove on medium-high.
4) When the water boils, add the granulated bonito broth.
5) Add burdock and carrot until they are cooked and soft.
6) Mix miso paste in a net and throw out any clumps.
7) Turn the heat off and add the tofu.
8) Chop spring onion to sprinkle on top of miso soup.
Arigatou for the spring afternoon, Boston!