*From the December 2011, Bon Appetit*
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups almond meal
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
1/3 cup plus
3 tbsp. egg whites 1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix almond meal with 1 cup powered sugar.
- Add coco powder and remaining 1 cup powered sugar.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1/3 cup egg whites in a medium bowl on medium speed until white and frothy.
- Gradually add sugar (spoonful by spoonful) to egg mixture.
- Increase speed until med-high and mix until “hard peaks” form in the mixture.
- Stir in remaining 3 tbsp egg whites.
- Fold egg mixture into dry mixture in 2 batches.
- Pour mixture into a pastry bag or large zip-lock with a corner cut off.
- Pipe out quarter-sized rounds of the meringue onto the parchment paper.
- Let stand on counter until the rounds harden a bit (about 10 minutes).
- Bakes cookies, for about 16 minutes (or until “puffed and dry”) rotating sheets half way.
- Let cool on wire racks.
- Using a spoon or pastry bag, sandwich ganache in between two cookies and repeat.